If you are like many families with young kids, you are finding yourself scrambling for new ideas to feed your kids while they are home. Here are our top 10 favorite snacks to keep them satisfied and well nourished (while saving you some stress!).
These snacks take 5 minutes or less to prep, and we know time is of the essence right now.
Bonus tip: have your kiddos help you assemble the snacks- when they have participated in this, they will be proud of their work and more likely to want to consume them through the week.
1. Cucumber, almond butter & dried cranberry (or raisin) stacks
2. Snack platter: mozzarella cheese, deli turkey slice, sugar snap peas and sliced apples
3. Homemade trail mix: dried edamame, unsalted nuts, unsweetened coconut flakes, chocolate chips, freeze-dried unsweetened fruit
4. Cottage cheese and pineapple or peaches
5. Deli roll-ups: sliced deli meat, sliced cheese wrapped around a pickle
6. Twisted deviled eggs: remove egg yellow from hardboiled eggs and fill with hummus
7. Corn salad: mix frozen corn (cooked), black beans, diced bell peppers and shredded cheese
8. Roasted & salty beans
9. Chicken skewers with dip (we love Costco’s West End Cuisine premade skewers and Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressing)
10. DIY no-added-sugar flavored yogurt: Greek yogurt mixed with unsweetened applesauce
Keep mealtimes structured (typically one mid-morning and one afternoon) and have kids eat at the kitchen counter or table. Take a break from playing or homework to enjoy these. Kids benefit from mindful eating as much as adults do!
By Erika DeRooy, PRO Medical Dietitian Services Manager and Registered Dietitian
PRO Medical’s Registered Dietitians provide personalized meal plans and education to support you in making realistic lifestyle changes and in achieving your individual goals. We have experts in a variety of areas and provide support for adults, pediatrics and families.
For healthy recipes that you can use these seasonal ingredients in, view our recipes here.