Whether you are vegetarian, vegan or trying to incorporate more plant-based meals into your routine give this simple recipe a try. The bold look of black rice paired with colorful vegetables adds a fun visual to the meal. Pair with the four ingredient homemade spicy peanut sauce or add one of your favorite dressings.
- 1 package of tempeh (Trader Joes or Light life)
- 3/4 cup uncooked black rice
- 1 ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 ½ cup broccoli slaw
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or ~1 Tbsp pre minced garlic)
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- *Lime, peanuts and cilantro for garnish if desired
Ingredients for Peanut Sauce
- 2 Tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1 ½ tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce or sriracha
- 2-3 Tbsp water (to thin)
- Cook rice according to package. Allow for ~30-40minutes to cook.
- Combine peanut butter, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce and water. Mix until smooth consistently. Set aside.
- Slice tempeh crosswise into ~12 pieces.
- Heat oil in large pan over medium/high heat. Add sliced tempeh into pan. Cook each side 2-3 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Add shredded carrots, broccoli, bean sprouts and garlic to pan. Sauté until tender 3-4 minutes.
- Divide rice, vegetables and tempeh into four bowls. Top with green onions and peanut sauce. Optional garnish limes, peanuts, and cilantro.
Yields: 4 servings
360 calories, 14g fat, 2g saturated fat, 170mg sodium, 42g carbohydrates, 12g fiber, 20g protein
By Allie Coulter, PRO Medical Registered Dietitian
PRO Medical’s Registered Dietitians provide personalized meal plans and education to support you in making realistic lifestyle changes and in achieving your individual goals. We have experts in a variety of areas and provide support for adults, pediatrics and families.
Find more healthy recipes here.