Easy and quick, a creamy and nutritious recipe to delight the whole family! The 20/20 LifeStyle’s Persian spinach yogurt dip goes perfect with salmon.
- 1 lb salmon filet
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon, cut in half
2020 Lifestyle’s Persian Spinach Yogurt Dip
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach, chopped (optional use frozen spinach and omit the boiling part)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt (such as Mountain High)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Prepare the dip:
1. Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add fresh spinach, and cook for 1 minute. Drain well. Place spinach on several layers of paper towels; squeeze until barely moist.
2. Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 6 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from heat; stir in spinach and salt. Let cool while prepping the salmon.
Prepare the salmon:
1. Season salmon all over with salt and pepper.
2. Using a paring knife, slice a slit on the side of the salmon filet to create a pocket. If you prefer, you can also cut the salmon into four, four oz smaller filets. Again, slice a slit on the sides of each to create a pocket
Stuff the fish:
1. Stuff the fish pockets with the prepared dip. About a ¼ – 1/3 cup each
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add salmon fillets to the skillet, skin-side down, cooking 2 fillets at a time.
4. Cook for 6 minutes, or until cooked about three quarters of the way through. Do not move the fish around.
5. Using a spatula, carefully flip over the salmon fillets.
6. Squeeze lemon juice all over the fish; continue to cook for 5 more minutes. (Use 1 tablespoon of lemon juice per 2 fillets)
7. Repeat with the rest of the fillets.
8. Serve and enjoy!
*Side note: For oven baked stuffed salmon – preheat oven to 375F. Transfer salmon filets to a lightly greased baking pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until salmon is cooked through.
Calories for Persian Spinach Yogurt Dip: Calories 50; Carbohydrates 6 g; Fat 2 g; Protein 4 g; Serving Size 1/4 cup; Recipe Yield 6
By Amanda Wood, PRO Medical Registered Dietitian
Check out more healthy recipes here.
PRO Medical’s Registered Dietitians provide personalized meal plans and education to support you in making realistic lifestyle changes and in achieving your individual goals. We have experts in a variety of areas and provide support for adults, pediatrics and families.