Taco Tuesday at home has never been easier or as delicious! This recipe can be used for tacos, on top of a salad, or as the filling for enchiladas. For a short cut, the spices can be substituted or half a packet of a pre-blended fajita seasoning mix. Keep in mind to find the low sodium variety to control the amount of excess sodium in your meals.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, diced to 1” pieces
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 bell peppers, diced into strips (any variety of colors)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
1. In a large bowl, combine diced chicken with seasoning packet. Set aside to marinate while prepping the bell peppers.
2. In a large cast iron (or non-stick skillet) pan, heat olive oil over high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook, turning occasionally (tongs work well) so pieces blacken on all sides, ~5-7 minutes total. Remove chicken from pan onto a clean plate and set aside.
3. Add onion slices to pan, stirring frequently add a pinch of salt and cook until onions begin to soften, ~3 minutes.
4. Next, add bell peppers and stir to combine. Cover with tightly fitting lid and allow to cook for ~3 minutes.
5. Gently add chicken pieces back to pan, stirring together with vegetables until everything is incorporated. Cover with lid and allow to cook ~5 minutes until chicken cooks through and vegetables are soft.
6. Garnish with lime juice. Enjoy!
Nutritional Facts 225 Calories | Total Fat 11g | Saturated Fat 2g | Sodium 512mg | Potassium 200mg | Total Carbohydrate 6g | Fiber 3g | Protein 26g
Want to make this a 20/20 LifeStyles meal?
This recipe pairs nicely with a ½ cup beans as a Stage 6 meal. Or use two corn tortillas as a Stage 7 option!
By Sarah Lawson, RD, Registered Dietitian at PRO Medical
Check out more healthy recipes here.
PRO Medical’s Registered Dietitians provide personalized meal plans and education to support you in making realistic lifestyle changes and in achieving your individual goals. We have experts in a variety of areas and provide support for adults, pediatrics and families.