Often when people feel stressed or anxious, the plan of action is to fight harder, do more, or to put in more time. The hope is that accomplishing tasks will help the anxiety lift yet the result is often the opposite. When we are frazzled, we are not effective, and usually that means it is time to try another angle.
These 5 strategies will help you regain clarity and calm, which will allow you to then manage the struggles at hand.
- Breath deep. Intentional breaths will slow the over activity of your brain and body, giving you the opportunity to assess any situation with more care.
- Organize. Take time to make a list, talk it out with an objective person, and explore the bigger picture. Then tackle what is important, instead of getting lost in the details.
- Protect your Sleep and Diet. Good sleep and a balanced diet are vital for health maintenance, particularly in the midst of stressful times.
- What Can you Control. If you can’t control it, don’t waste your energy on it. Find what you can control and work to do your very best with it. You can’t control how someone else treats you; you can control how you engage in that situation.
- Take Care of Yourself. Sometimes you need a break. Take a bath, read a book, go for a run. Do something that you love, that is unconnected to your stress. Refuel your brain and body.
Written by Cecelia Oxford, MSW, LICSW
Individual and Couple Therapist at PRO Sports Club