Halloween is a spooky time of year for anyone trying to lose weight. If you are typically tempted by the sweet treats, here are a few ways to set yourself up for success:
- Keep candy in the outside freezer or garage before and after Halloween. Out of sight, out of mind!
- Donate extras. Bring your leftovers to the 20/20 Lifestyles front desk and we will send them to the troops! No need to keep the temptation going on November 1st
- Have a protein bar handy. Or other sweet that you find satisfying. Being hungry is a sure-fire way to overeat what is around you.
- Have a cup of 20/20 chocolate protein powder ‘cocoa’: mix warm water into powder and add a little extra unsweetened cocoa powder for a healthy, warm snack before heading out to trick or treat.
- Focus on your favorites. If Halloween candy is one of your favorite foods, plan to follow the ‘3 bite rule’ and pick 3 of your favorite bite-size versions to enjoy. Use them as your carbohydrate for dinner and move back to your routine meal plan on Thursday. Savor every bite!
This is the beginning of what can be a difficult season, so remember: if the candy is not your favorite treat during the holidays, it is likely not ‘worth’ the extra calories. Be mindful with your portion sizes and don’t let yourself get too hungry. Enjoy the time spent dressing up and being with loved ones!