- 3 lb (32 oz) ground beef (96% lean)
- 1 can (1 ½ C) S&W kidney beans (50% less sodium)
- ½ can (3/4 C) butter beans
- 2 cans (29 oz) ready-cut tomatoes
- 6 cans (48 oz) tomato sauce (no salt added)
- 3 C green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 ½ large sweet onions, chopped
- 6 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp paprika
- ¾ ground black pepper
- 2 tsp oregano
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese
- 1 jalapeno or Serrano pepper, diced (optional)
- Brown the ground beef
- Chop onions and peppers
- Drain, rinse and measure beans
- Mix all ingredients together in large crockpot. Turn to low and cook for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, place 1.75 C chili into a bowl and top with ½ oz mozzarella cheese.
Calories per serving: 382 | Total fat: 8.7 g | Saturated fat: 4.5 g | Cholesterol: 80 mg | Sodium: 455 mg | Total Carbohydrates: 43.3 g | Dietary fiber: 12.6 g | Sugars: 16 g | Protein: 37 g
Check out more healthy recipes here.
PRO Medical’s Registered Dietitians provide personalized meal plans and education to support you in making realistic lifestyle changes and in achieving your individual goals. We have experts in a variety of areas and provide support for adults, pediatrics and families.
Originally from PRO Pulse November-December 2016
By Jeff Claudon