If done correctly, goal setting can be an extremely powerful tool to unleash your untapped potential. Follow these five simple steps to set yourself up for success.
- Identify Your Goal: First Identify your ultimate goal. Rather than saying “I want ___,” say “I will ___.” Your belief in achieving your goal is the very first step. Reality will soon follow. anything is possibly with the right amount of dedication and motivation. Don’t limit yourself. As a wise person once said, “If you can dream it, you can achieve it.”
- Make it Manageable: Second, break down your goal into small pieces along a timeline, to discover the very first step you need to take, and each subsequent step thereafter. If you’re having trouble figuring out all the steps or find yourself only coming up with a few, seek help from a professional. For a fitness goal, seek out a personal trainer. Diet goal? Find a registered dietitian. For life related goals, seek the assistance of a counselor. You’ll find a slew of experts in all these areas at PRO Sports Club.
- Write it Down: The third most important step is to write down your ultimate goal every single morning. This will ingrain your goals into your mind and ensure that you’re aware of what to work on during that day in moving closer to your goal. The easiest way to do this is to use a daily journal or tracking tool.
- Have Each Step Laid Out: Now that you’ve set your goals and have each step laid out in front of you, you just need to work at it. The difference between success and failure is persistence. You need to do something toward your goal every day, no matter how small. No matter how insignificant it may seem, something is always better than nothing.
- Find a Goal Buddy: Beginning this journey on your own may seem a little daunting. If possible, fina goal buddy in the form of friends, family, coworkers, personal trainer, etc. Research has shown that setting goals with a partner(s) or family can lead to a 175% increase in success! Comparatively, the increase in a group and only 24% when you set goals alone.
So get started today. Don’t wait to unleash your true potential. Best of luck on your journey.
“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a SINGLE STEP.”
Originally from PRO Pulse January-February 2014
By Blake Parsons